The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The omnipotence of God and the necessity of sin

Sorry about how short my contributions are getting …

Another option, johnny, regarding epistemically distance is that God didn’t want this degree of distance - that something got in the way.

Regarding your syllogism, Alec, I’d argue with premise 1 to start with. You would have to provide independent warrant for that assertion, especially given that one could argue that it’s maybe possible that: free willed non sining beings exist in heaven; babies can be perfected in heaven without ever sinning; animals are non moral beings but have freewill; some angels seem to have never fell; that it would be immoral to give commands to a being who has incapable of obeying them; that Adam seemed to have the genuine option of going for tree of life rather than the other one; it is immoral to make creatures who are inevitably sinful as that is tantamount to creating sin.

I’d also challenge the idea that if creatures would inevitably sin then making them would be a good act of creation; and I’d also ask why didn’t God just make more beings with the will of God (think causal relations between the trinity).

Hi all,
Just a very quick note.

Johnny, there’s much to explore about epistemic distance and have been thinking about NDEs in regards to this area but have to organize these thoughts a bit.

Interesting article, Eric and will post some thoughts about it later. (Still trying to track down the “babies in heaven” part, though)

Pog, I think premise 1 is the crux of the issue and I think we differ fundamentally in that area and will post more later that may be of interest, but have to run now.

Steve

I remember in that website they believe the Infants will be in the second resurrection :astonished:
the view of Satan will be chained for thousand years is that they believe God will chain Satan for REAL Evangelizing,
thats why nowadays many don’t believe in UR because Satan must be chained then the Evangelizing will begin,
but I don’t know maybe the Infants can be in 1st Resurrection too :confused:

infants being in the 2nd resurrection means they should first understand who is Jesus Christ, then
their names will be written in Book of life, I Think :exclamation:

Well I think I found it:

godsplanforall.com/absurditiesofhell

godsplanforall.com/lakeoffire1

Hi Pog,
Got a chance to start working on this response so here goes…(and I’m assuming you referred to the corollary syllogism)

There are a number of ways to disagree with this proposition including the definition of a free moral agent, “will” and sin. I think that we are in agreement pretty much about the meaning of free moral agents and “will”,(thankfully, as those discussions are a real quagmire) or at least close enough that it doesn’t matter for the argument, however, I think it is in regards to “sin” and the “fall” that we differ.

A narrow definition of sin could disprove this and I think that’s what you’re getting at. If “sin” is defined as disobeying a specific command from God, then it certainly is conceivable that a free moral agent could obey that command or a limited number of specific commands for at least a limited amount of time, especially in a situation of diminished epistemic distance such as the Garden scenario in Genesis where Adam “walked with God”. CS Lewis’ novel, Perelandra is a good example of such a scenario where the “Adam” doesn’t sin and the “green couple” at the end are in some way transformed and glorified. (I assume including transforming their wills to that of God). So this fairly literal view of the Genesis account of the fall of man is fairly coherent and perhaps plausible, but I’m not buying it. I certainly have doubts about the historicity of “the fall” but I think the implications of Adam “failing the test” for all his unborn descendents makes such a scenario frankly immoral. Also, the inheritance of a “sinful nature” makes no sense to me.

I think one of the problems with a “narrow” view of sin as disobeying specific commandments is that Jesus taught specifically against this view saying:“But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” and “But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.” I suppose you could say that the Jews of the day didn’t realize the extent of their sinfulness acquired because of the fall, but I think it’s a deeper principal than just that. I think being conformed to the will of God is the key to "sinlessness"and far more important than following certain commandments.

Addendum: Eric, just saw your posts while typing this up. Will take a look at that.

Steve

Hi Alec, I’m not sure you’re on the right track regarding my issues of sin, and you may want to adjust your argument accordingly. To note, I don’t accept the doctrine of original sin, I don’t believe Adam was the first human, and I don’t think sin is simply disobeying a direct command given by God. I’m not sure how those things will affect our ongoing discussion, I just want to clarify. :slight_smile:

Hi Pog,
Oh well… I really bashed that strawman though don’t you think? :wink:

Steve

Hi Pog,
I’ll give this another shot. I think your mention of Adam put me on the wrong track. :blush: I’m not sure I can provide any independent warrant for the argument but will explore some of your objections and possible solutions. I know it won’t be entirely satisfactory to you as the argument continues to be “the necessity of sin”.

Taking the examples one by one:

1. Regarding free-willed non-sinning beings in heaven: I would say that these beings have (through whatever process) been conformed to the will of God after *starting *with their own imperfect wills and “sinning” in some form or another.
  2. Regarding babies in heaven: See my previous remarks, I suspect that they do,indeed, need a maturing process where the immature “sinful” will is conformed to that of God. Does this take place in heaven? Who knows?
  3. Regarding non moral animals with freewill: I’m not sure the point of this as they certainly don’t fit into the category of free moral agents and “sin” doesn’t apply to them. I suspect there is something more here I’m not picking up?
  4. Regarding angels who “never fell”: Assuming this means “never sinned” , one possibility would be that they are indeed “a multiplication of the trinity” and not separate beings at all. If “never fell” means never rebelled or were traitorous, then they could be beings who, while sinners initially, were perfected from a state similar to ours.
    5.Regarding the immorality of giving commands to a creature incapable of obeying them: I would say punishing the creature for not obeying the commands would be more egregious. Giving commands regarding behavior a creature can’t achieve may “stretch” the creature and make him eventually able to obey the commands but I can’t see how this applies specifically to the inevitability of sin.
  5. Regarding Adam and free-choice: We both see the Genesis account as an allegory/myth. Certainly there is “truth” in the story, but might not that truth be applicable to the individual, encouraging the follower of God to resist evil and choose Life?
  6. Regarding creating creatures who will inevitably sin: I have no choice but to have children that will inevitably sin, if I desire to have children. If the syllogism I presented is true, then God had no choice if he wanted something other than “clones” of himself to relate to, than to create beings that would inevitably sin. How am I excused (if I am) and God is not?

There are a number of ways to attack this proposition. The definition of “free moral agents” and “will” come to mind immediately, but saying that creatures created with God’s will would be "…an extension of, or indistinguishable from God."is more debatable. It’s certainly difficult to prove this, it seems possible to imbue a creature with God’s desires and priorities and thus his will, but has this happened? I’ve argued that creatures can be imbued with God’s will through an educative and maturing process (santicfication), so why not just give them God’s will right off the bat? Is an immature “self” able, in these circumstances, to distinguish itself from God? Would it indeed be God? Has God done this for some creatures but not others? It seems possible, *a priori *,to create creatures with God’s will. I do think the “corrollary” to the syllogism is especially strong and will refer to it.

If angels are created with the will of God and sin is not inevitable, if would be impossible for them to sin. Angels have “sinned” and fallen, therefore, angels do not have the will of God and it was inevitable that angels sin. (The implication being that the “unfallen” angels may have sinned at some poin
but not as egregiously as the “fallen” angels, just as an impeached politician has failed in a more egregious manner than a standard politician.)

Just more thoughts and hope they’re more on track,

Steve

Great reply, alec. Unsurprisingly, I disagree with a fair chunk, but I think it’s now clearer where we differ and why. Although neither of us know the answers to this stuff (who does?), I think your position is not very reasonable (sorry), and hopefully I can show that below.

1 & 2) So you’re arguing that sin is necessary for an individual to become sinless? Given that you apply this to infants, this also means that if a sinless being dies it must be given further ‘chances’ by God directly to sin - either in heaven, or post-resurrection (or reincarnation?). Given the biblical hints of heaven/post-resurrection state being without sin, and given the nature of God, it seems difficult to hold this view. Pastorally, too, I suspect there would be difficulties: one would have to tell grieving parents that their child is still undergoing a process of maturation, one which involves sin - and by consequence suffering - about which you know nothing. Also, it seems odd for God to make sin a necessary educational device. And, another difficulty, seems to be the process itself. How much sin is required in that process before one is perfected? We all have very different levels of sin here in this life without anyone being perfect, so how long does this process continue (with sin being necessary)? Where there is sin there is suffering. And I admit to being sketchy about the details of how the process works: what is this process? It seems from what you imply it must involve that it cannot be simple revelation, repentance, education, collapse of epistemic distance or judgement, because it requires on-going sinning.

1. Sorry, my bad - I’m not sure what I was thinking of here. But, just to throw things out for consideration, would you say there are borderline cases in the animal realm of free moral agents? Dolphins, chimps, proto-humans? what happens to them?

2. It seems your position would be forced into adopting an angels=God position, but that, whilst possible, I see as being a weaker exegetical position (and theological position) than the traditional alternative. Why have one’s theology force them into a weaker biblical position?

3. Does God punish sin? Does God expect free moral agents to choose not to sin? Does God give commands that require that a free moral agent to not sin? When God says, ‘Be perfect’ or ‘Do x’ or ‘Don’t do y’ is it possible for people to keep those commands? It would be immoral for God to have an impossible expectation and make impossible demands - especially if He punishes afterwards (which it seems He does). Can you name a single example of an inevitable sin, one where the free moral agent had no choice but to sin? I cannot think of one, so I doubt such a thing exists.

4. No - I don’ take Gen as a straightforward myth (I have little difficulty with an historical Adam, for example, though I don’t think the text makes him the first human), but I’m not sure that it matters much. If Adam was an individual (historical or literary) doesn’t the story, either way, show that God created a human directly, who lived without sin, and to whom God gave a straightforward command which Adam disobeyed? Wouldn’t your position have the added difficulty of having to explain that God issued that command without hope of it being obeyed, and that the disappointment and shock expressed by God afterwards was play acting?

5. Your analogy is a nice one, but is not really accurate. The difference between human parents choosing to have children and God creating the universe is too enormous to draw accurate ethical parallels. A) When I have a child, do I know that it will ‘inevitably’ sin? Actually no - no matter how unlikely I hold to freewill, and thus see it as theoretically (though not practically) possible that someone might live a sinless life - all other things being equal (ie given no outside manipulation or influence or coercion) - and there is always the chance the baby will die before sinning. Now, the environment ensures that freewill will be influenced/compromised to such a degree to make a human practically unable to be sinless - but this environment I have no control over - but in creation God did. It is one thing to have a human child in this messed up world, it would be another thing to directly create the messed-up world to place the child into! I might not be culpable if I choose to have a child when I can do nothing about the environment, but I think God would be culpable if He created both a flawed being (inevitable sin) and a flawed environment.

However, I do see the force of your point here, and concede: if parents aren’t guilty due to inability then neither is God. Of course, this begs the questions of whether God was unable to do something, and if sin is inevitable, and if having children is perfectly moral. So, ok, maybe God wouldn’t be acting immorally in creating beings who He knew would inevitably sin and suffer - but it still doesn’t sit well with me, though at the moment I cannot pin-point exactly why. Is it possible that one could argue that if creating a being to inevitably suffer the morality of the act is tied to the degree of the suffering? For example, I think it would be immoral for parents to have children if they knew that the child would be tortured hideously, or if they knew it would live a massively miserable life - don’t you? If this is true, then your position would require not only that you show that God creating beings who would inevitably sin/suffer is permissible, but that creating beings who have sinned/suffered to the degree that they have in history is permissible - this is where I think I’m coming from. I wouldn’t choose to have a child if I knew they’d suffer like some people have - so why did God?

Your position also seems to assume that an educative process will necessarily include sin. Why? Education, and the movement from ignorance to knowledge, or from less than ideal choices to ideal choices, doesn’t equate to sinfulness.

Given the above difficulties with the position that sin is inevitable for all free moral agents until they have completed some mysterious process (except God - interestingly, why is God exempt here?) simply better to adopt another position (or at least look for one) that doesn’t have the same issues. It seems, to me, that open theism + cosmic warfare + universalism + FWD + vale of soul making can offer the same theodicy benefits of your position, but without the difficulties.

Was/is Jesus a moral agent? If the above arguments for the “necessity” of sin are true, does this not entail that Jesus was/is a sinner? Do we want to say this?

As an Orthodox Christian I must of course disagree with the above arguments on the necessity of sin for the establishment of personhood. All that is needed is for God to speak to us. Our personhood is grounded in mutual communication and relationship.

Theodicy is hard enough without making God directly responsible for personal evil.

Akimel - that was well said, and worth elaborating on at some time.

Hi Akimel,
Just a quick answer. Of course Jesus is a free moral agent but his desires, priorities and will are the same as the Father’s and in fact is the second person of the Godhead so cannot sin.
John 5:19
“Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.”

Steve

A couple other thoughts, Akimel,
Having a will like Jesus is precisely what we will have once we have been fully matured and made sinless.
Romans 8:29 (NIV)
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Also, I think it might be more accurate to discuss “the inevitability of sin”. I continue to think it would be impossible for a free moral agent with a will other than God’s not to have a thought, desire or to act that would be contrary to what God would have. (Taking a broad view of “sin”) And, if free moral agents were created with the will of God, then why is there sin?

Steve

I disagree. First I suppose we’d have to define “free moral agent,” but consider first that God is love – infinite love – and all that encompasses. Aside from having evil thoughts, I think it’s probably impossible in this context to have anything more original than a derivative thought that no one (aside from God) has had before.

This brings me to the thought that we were created in the image of God. In other words, His icons. Our purpose includes displaying to the visible, material world what God looks like. No one of us is capable in him/herself of doing that fully. We are finite beings and the best we can do is to be filled to brimming over with that portion of His goodness and creativity and love that He has poured into us. Our job is to display to the world what He’s filled us with. If every single person were doing this, we would be looking on the face of God ever more clearly day by day.

The center of the devil’s lie is the implication (to Eve) that she wasn’t already like God. She was as like God as an infant is like her mother and father. Leading her to reject her Father and seek knowledge on her own did not bring about her maturity. In human terms, children must indeed seek out knowledge on their own, apart from their finite parents. In Eve’s case, there WAS no knowledge to be had, apart from God, except the knowledge of evil.

I submit that Eve had no need for the knowledge of evil. She DID have need to mature, but she didn’t require experience of evil in order to do that. A young child doesn’t need to willfully touch the stove in order to prove to himself that it’s hot. He COULD simply believe that his father wouldn’t forbid the stove if there were not some harm to be gotten in touching it. He COULD simply obey. Many children do, in fact, obey commands like this. Witness the number of children you do NOT run over when driving down a neighborhood street faster than you ought. Most of them stay out of the street – not because they have the experience of the evil of having been hit by a car, but simply because they believe their parents’ warnings.

The TOKOG&E wasn’t there, I think, to test us, nor to give us incentive to evil. It was just intrinsically THERE by virtue of our free will. We could always choose first-hand knowledge of unkindness, self-dependence, selfishness, etc. Its presence was not arbitrary but logically necessary. Its presence WAS and IS necessary to our development as mature children of our Father, but our choosing to eat of it is NOT necessary to that maturation process. When the tree grows among us (as I think it must) and we walk by as we would walk by a manchineel tree – with absolutely no desire or inclination to eat of its poisonous fruits or to touch its caustic leaves – then we will be free. We will know the truth and therefore be free of the death that is in the tree. We do not need to see the results of the tree in order to avoid it. People go about in Florida and the Caribbean all the time not eating from the manchineel tree and not touching it, without ever having seen or experienced the result of its poison.

I think sin is like that. We didn’t need to see it really; we could simply have believed. God knew we wouldn’t take Him at His word, but it doesn’t follow from that knowledge that we COULDN’T have taken Him at His word. He still wanted us, so He went ahead with creation, but the goal has always been to set us free from sin; not to drag us through it.

Hi Cindy,
As I’ve said before, I have big problems with a literal interpretation of the Genesis account of the Garden of Eden and the “fall of
man”. Setting aside the historicity of the story, was it really fair to make death the punishment for disobedience in these (presumably) child-like beings? Why did God allow the serpent in the Garden to trick Eve? And assuming the serpent was Satan, how did he fall? More importantly, why must we descendants all suffer for the failure of this one individual? Why not actually have Adam and Eve die after eating the fruit and start over with someone who wouldn’t if that’s all it would take to have a sinless race of humans. I think positing (as Caleb Fogg said so well “…an inevitable “fallenness” in each individual person” ,is far more moral and coherent.

Steve

Cindy,
I did want to say that this:

…is an absolutely beautiful image! And I agree that we will, indeed, all be, eventually, able to walk past evil without being tempted.

Steve

Eric,
I did get a chance to look at the site you linked to and have been meaning to get back to you.

The authors are pretty darn confident in their views on a variety of subjects and have a very developed systematic theology which always makes me a little suspicious. That being said, they approach sin and free will from the Garden scenario which I am, obviously, very skeptical of. They say:

I’m not sure what they mean by “a will free from sin”. Does that mean they just haven’t sinned yet and their will hadn’t been corrupted yet? Or does it mean they were incapable of or perhaps just not inclined to sin? Was their will just a little less perfect than God’s? Well, they obviously sinned so they weren’t incapable of sin so it must mean an uncorrupted free will. Why did they sin then? After the fall the authors say:

Again, I find the whole scenario immoral and unrealistic, though I know and respect many believers who hold to a literal view of “The Fall” as described in Genesis.

Regarding babies in heaven, the authors say:

I find it interesting that they are so certain these unborn babies will be resurrected as young adults.

I also find it interesting that the authors are mind-body monists. (not that there’s anything wrong with that.) They even address NDE’s as not disproving monism. (I’m a dualist, by the way)

Just some thoughts,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I saw that pog mentioned perceptively about Adam and Eve, that they are not just the first people, notice Cain
married to a girl and whose daughter she was, I don’t know :exclamation:

I believe Adam and Eve are the examples of males and females around the world that time God created them,
I mean where are Indians come from in North America, or Chinese or Black people, these nations are different
from each other, well, in the website that I gave you says Cain is the example of false religion, and Abel is the meaning
of True Religion, hmm, I didn’t know that, what an interpretation :open_mouth:

There is another one GodsPlanForUs.com
I’m looking forward to see what is their opinion about free will, babies in heaven, and …

Hi Eric,
Interesting thoughts…Though I find I don’t agree with some of what the site’s authors wrote, It’s always interesting to see how others view things and perhaps find a nugget you hadn’t seen before or at least start thinking about something you’d always taken for granted. For example soul-body dualism. This has been the traditional viewpoint of Christians but you can argue quite well for monism (the mind/soul requires the presence of a body). Might be worth a thread sometime if there isn’t already one.

All the best

Steve