The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Prayer & Free Will

First, let me just say think you for your contributions to EU. I have only embraced Christian Universalism in the last 18 months after 30 years in pastoral ministry. It has been a long, slow and painful journey! I have now entered into a ministry of writing transformational fiction and hope to share some of these new thoughts in a format accessible to those who don’t read formal theology…story.

That out of the way, I have yet to see any discussion on the topic of prayer as it relates to free will. As Paul instructs Timothy “to pray for all people…because God wills all to be saved,” I find it interesting that folks who would cling to a free will argument against universal reconciliation, will still pray to God for the salvation of their lost friends and family members. If God could answer such a prayer, then surely he has some capacity for accomplishing such a thing. Maybe it is just a hopeful prayer, that God would send a witness or something along those lines, but I think it still speaks to the longing of every evangelical heart to believe that God can save people who, even at present, may have no desire to be saved.

Welcome to the forum, DC!

Dr. T may or may not reply, partly because he may not even realize this forum is still running.

You might get more replies if you repost in another topical category. Besides which, the engine’s spamcatcher won’t start automatically letting you through until you post a few more times anyway. :wink:

Look at these following 2 discussions / articles, on Quora and Catholic Exchange

Can Prayer and Free Will Co-exist?
If man has free will, how does prayer work?

I find it interesting that folks who would cling to a free will argument against universal reconciliation, will still pray to God for the salvation of their lost friends and family members. If God could answer such a prayer, then surely he has some capacity for accomplishing such a thing. Maybe it is just a hopeful prayer, that God would send a witness or something along those lines, but I think it still speaks to the longing of every evangelical heart to believe that God can save people who, even at present, may have no desire to be saved.

Jesus encouraged us to pray so it appears prayers should have some kind of impact , so perhaps re salvation it may be that God reveals more evidence to an unbeliever or softens his heart? You may think softening the heart interferes with free will but a million things influence free will in everyday life.

I have heard it said that prayer aligns us with God’s thinking, rather than our own. And, we are asked to pray ‘unceasingly’…to walk with God, just as Noah did…each and every day.

Regarding free will, I assume you are thinking of what happens when someone prays for someone else.

I suppose that is a complicated process, which we cannot fully understand. I would think it has to do with us being the Body of Christ; the communion of saints; the first fruits, and so on. We are all joined together, I believe, in ways our little minds could not possibly fully understand. I suppose, just as love changes us when something happens, such as the story of the Good Samaritan, then the love in our prayers, could also have an effect…a ripple in the water, so to speak…on one another, as well.

My thoughts…

Dandelion