The Evangelical Universalist Forum

My Dissertation on Universalism in Romans 5:12-19...

Hi everyone,

I haven’t been on here for ages, but I’ve decided I would like to start getting involved again! Since I last came I’ve graduated (just about - should have worked harder!) and now hope to go into Anglican ministry, and am extremely interested in the whole question of Universal Reconciliation, as the biblical theory behind it is utterly fascinating. I have had numerous intense struggles on whether it’s true or not, eventually settling for the position that is is plausibly true, and if it isn’t God has something even better in store (even if we cannot imagine this right now!) This has made the whole thing less stressful! Since then I have just been so happy to think more and more about just how wonderful and beautiful God is, and just want to help share His message of infinite hope! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to some people if I posted my Dissertation for my BA Theology degree, which I actually did (albeit a little rushed) on the case for Universalism in Romans 5:12-19… It’s effectively an exegesis of the verses, altogether taking up 8000 words, which I chose as it seems to me to be one of the passages from which a particularly strong case can be made for Universal Reconciliation. I thought it might be of interest - apologies for the length!

It’s entitled: “‘Justification and Life for All’: Does the passage of Romans 5:12-19 imply a doctrine of the eventual salvation of all humankind?”

All blessings on here to everyone, and remember you all are wonderful lights in the world! :slight_smile:

All kind wishes,
Elliot
DissertationRomans5_12to19.pdf (360 KB)
DissertationRomans5_12to19.docx (74.2 KB)

Hey, CC! (And fellow Cadrist.) Long time no see! :mrgreen:

I also saw your nod to one of the last things written by your fellow Anglican C. S. Lewis there. :wink: Quite so, if no kind of Christian universalism is true, something better will be.

Will try to catch up on your dissertation later. (Is it okay to post it here? Sometimes there are rules about publication of dissertations… I mean in the business of publishing rights, not forum rules.)

Hey Jason! :slight_smile:

I was hoping you would reply on this - thank you for your kind words :slight_smile:
It is a testimony to my horrendous disorganisation that I haven’t been more involved in things! :confused:
I didn’t know that was what C.S. Lewis said - that is amazing, as literally that brief statement has been psychologically incredible for me in accepting eschatology, the Bible without distress!
I also hadn’t thought of that, but had a quick check and it seems all OK! :slight_smile:

Thank you again amazing brother in Christ,
Elliot :slight_smile:

Hey! Do you think that you could post a .PDF file of your dissertation? I would love to read it, but I don’t have Microsoft Word and .PDFs are just easier to read in general. :slight_smile:

John,

I added a pdf version to Elliot’s original post. Hope that’s helpful! (Still haven’t read it yet myself, much ‘work’ work this time of year, and stomach blargh.)

Elliot, you may find interesting and relevant a theological paper written by Richard H. Bell and published in the journal *New Testament Studies *(Volume 46, pages 417-432). The paper, linked below, is entitled “Rom 5.18-19 and Universal Salvation.” Here are the last two sentences in Bell’s introduction.

In this article I argue that Paul does in fact support a universal salvation in Rom 5.18-19. Such an understanding is supported by both the context and by a detailed study of these verses.”

salvationofall-av.org/indexNL/Hoogendijk/ppt/Richard%20Bell.pdf

Hey Lancia,

Thank you so much for that link! :slight_smile: I always find in-depth academic studies of Scripture extremely helpful!

It certainly does seem as though one has to do some creative exegesis in order to avoid a universalistic interpretation! :wink:

Thank you so much for putting up the PDF, Jason - much more compatible and easier to use! :slight_smile: