The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Good Shepherd carrying a Goat

The Christian Roman catacombs are important especially for their contributions to early Christian art, in frescos and sculpture. Being a burial place, one of the more common pictures is that of the Good Shepherd either carrying a sheep and/or surrounded by a flock. I was thus very tickled to find a picture of the Good Shepherd carrying a Goat!

John 10:15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

The word translated “sheep” is probaton and actually means **any **small 4-legged tame grazing animal which included sheep, goats, small cattle, and donkeys; all were often cared for by a shepherd (poimen). It’s also interesting that the “fold” mentioned is the word *aule *which could be translated as courtyard, an walled off area. Flock is poimne, those animals cared for by the shepherd, poimen.

There are many things that separate us into different groups; but I’m thankful that we are truly all animals of His pasture, even me, an old goat!

btw, one knows it is a goat because of the skinny straight horns, a distinquishing mark between sheep and goats. Sheep, if they have horns, have thicker curly horns as depicted in this ingraved image.

Nice :slight_smile:

definitely a goat, and a black one at that.
that’s Jesus for you :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I remember that art exists now!–how did I ever forget it when I’ve been telling people for the past few years that almost all the references to “sheep” in the NT could just as easily refer to “goats”?!I

I’m definitely going to link to this next time I mention “The Good Goatherd” or the “Parable of the 100th Goat”!

Incidentally, I’m trying to figure out what animal that’s supposed to be at Jesus’ right hand. Doesn’t look like a sheep (it has a long skinny tail). Kind of looks like a cat?! A reaaaly large cat??! Or a shepherd’s dog maybe. But if that’s supposed to be the lion laying down with the lambs (young flocklings), that would be an image of Satan being reconciled by God!

(The plants on either side seem to be “eagles nesting in mustard trees”, so a visual image of mature faith. Worth noting that “eagles” aren’t typically regarded as being inherently good in the scriptures, and in Jesus’ day would have been strongly emblematic of the pagan Roman oppressors.)

i think it’s some form of big cat, maybe not a lion, but possibly a leopard/panther. it may be a metaphor for a predator being at peace with the prey even if it isn’t a lion.

the birds in the trees make me think of ravens or crows…also not necessarily a symbol for universal goodness, yet welcome to roost just the same.

just wish there was a snake and a few spiders in the art as well, but we can’t have everything :wink:

Hm, yes, I did think of ravens or crows, too, but figured the artist might not have been able to distinguish sufficiently between them and eagles at this “print resolution” so to speak. (They certainly aren’t vultures, which is what the term usually translated “eagle” can also mean, btw!)

Where did you get this, Sherman? I’d love to see a larger version.

It was just a google search/compilation of Roman Catacomb Art.

google.com/search?q=roman+c … 80&bih=850

It’s a facinating picture.

I enjoy sharing it with people and use it to spark people’s interest in studying scripture. And jokingly after showing/telling others of Jesus carrying a goat, I say that this picture has given me hope that God loves even old goats like me!