The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Even without ECT/P there are still reasons to be a Christian

Being saved is not a simple “get out of jail card”, just as in this life, the more twisted & depraved you become, the more untwisting God has to help you do, and that is real & seriously excruciating. As Jesus said, way better to settle your differences rather than go to the Judge. Each mile you walk from God is one you have to walk back, with the Holy Spirit’s help. It would’ve been much better if the Prodigal Son only went as far as the end of the driveway before realising his mistake.

The problem of the “get out of jail card” isn’t unique to EU, many Christians think that if they say the right prayers, or are baptised, or attend church, or hold the correct doctrines, that they are then free to live as they please.

Once the Prodigal Son discovered he was forgiven & welcomed home, why didn’t he just leave again? i.e. now that he knows his father if merciful & will always accept him back. I’d say it’s not because of fear of rejection.

Anyway, some of the ways I motivate people to come to repentance & follow Jesus:

1. God really loves us and wants the best for us. Because He is good & very wise, and from experience His ways usually turn out better (although not always easier) than our ways. A relationship with God is great.

2. We only have to look at celebrities to see that selfishness (putting ourselves before God & others) is largely unsatisfying.

3. We can’t consistently act like we would like to act, sin is addictive & destructive to you & those you love. Only Jesus can provide freedom from the slavery to sin.

4. Is the only reason you love your mum because you fear otherwise she might disown you? I hope not! Likewise we shouldn’t only love God because otherwise He might disown us.

5. God truthfully describes our condition and it’s better to follow truth rather than live a lie.

6. Out of love for God, stop crucifying Him by your selfish actions.

7. Out of love for you & others, like any good father, God won’t let the self-destruction continue indefinitely and will discipline you until you truly repent.

As a child I tried to obey my parents primarily because they loved me & I loved them. As an adult I try to obey God primarily because He loves me & I love Him. It’s true this won’t motivate everyone, and sadly some people will require God’s discipline.

To be a Christian is …

…to walk the path of truth and life.
…to know Love and live in Love.
…to know and honor Him who made us, the Father of us all.
…to have Hope.
…to be growing into the fullness of what we are created to be.
…to have wisdom and understanding.
…to be set free into the freedom of Christ.
…to have the power of forgiveness and the strength of humility.
…to be one with the source of all goodness, joy, and light.
…to be at peace.
…to be an ambassador with Christ calling all to come home to the Father.
…to be no longer a slave to sin but an heir to the promises of God.

Amen ! Well said SLJ :slight_smile:

Amen Sonia! Thanks for expanding the list, the more the better :slight_smile: